Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Work with "Purpose"


This week I begin a somewhat intense travel schedule. My first assignment of two weeks will be in Cyprus. I will be working with a very fine organization called OEB who serve Employers and Industrialists throughout this beautiful country. I'm excited to present a 2 day Seminar to HR professionals and then conduct a series of "On-Site" company visits. The rest of the Fall will find me traveling and working in Russia, Montenegro and, possibly, Greece.

With challenging economic issues worldwide many companies are exploring new markets, process and opportunities like never before. I'm no different. I too, am looking to expand my business borders and am actively reaching out to new territories. Great organizations are always looking down the road for the next big thing or that next big idea. I'm grateful that people are asking me for guidance in a variety of business methods to enhance growth and profit inside their firms.

When I went into private practice several years ago, I sat down with pen in hand to capture what was in my heart and head concerning my business life and purpose as an executive coach and teacher. Those items I listed have never changed and coupled with my operating principles I have had little regret for the roads I have traveled in the past 20 years. I have made a positive impact on the businesses and in the lives of people that I have worked with. In return they have enriched and taught me many things as well.

A business friend of mine who works for DVCC in Maryland has some basic questions he asks people to answer concerning their jobs.

Is it fun?
Is it equitable?
Am I recognized?
Is it mine?
Is it meaningful?
Is it challenging?
Am I needed?
Am I wanted?

Those last two are my additions. I have always told CEO's and Presidents that there are two things which must be present before I will take them on as a client. I must be wanted, and I must be needed. Those statements, answered in the affirmative, will allow me to work with "purpose" around the world.

What about you? How do you answer the above questions? Let me know

2 Comments:

Blogger The Willekes - Chris, Jill and Christian said...

It's a good question. I have recently stated it this way: I am interested in helping only if I can bring value to your company. There are areas where I believe I can, but the client must also agree and see that I can bring value. In the end, he recommended me to the CEO.
I think you bring up two really key issues:
1) It would seem you don't "take" all clients but select the ones whom you may be able to help and who want or need you.
2) You crystallize the main issues by asking the client, am I wanted and needed? This really allows you the opportunity and authority to speak truth and bring value to the client, because they are demonstrating trust by answering yes to these questions.

October 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thanks for your comments Chris and Jill..

I like the way you state your purpose to prospective clients. Well done!

While working with organizations and individuals professionally, if we are wanted but not needed, then we just become "professional visitors". In this business (as you know) it's about building relationships with many different levels of influence inside the organization we serve, but it must start with the top decision makers who understand the value of having a outside person work along side of them for a common goal. That's why my company is called Extension Management. We desire to become an extension of the firms we partner with. To many consultants have lost their purpose..they think it's just about making money for themselves ....

October 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home