Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hypocrite?

                                         Hypocrite

What an interesting word. What an interesting behavior. Being Hypocritical ...what a destructive behavior.

Often you hear that word in religious context as people offer up a reason for not going to church. They will say "I'm not interested in religion because of the hypocrites in the church." Which in it's self is a ridiculous argument suggesting God will be OK with our behavior because of the poor behavior of others. Since God does not grade on the curve, I doubt that will hold water. But that's a subject for another time.

Today I want to talk about everyday leaders, companies and people who are hypocrites and the damage it manifests daily. Let's start with the common definition.


Hypocrite:
One who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not; from Greek hypokritēs actor

I will admit that personal experience in recent weeks has caused me to think a lot about hypocrites. I have watched seemingly good people become destructive because of their hypocritical behavior. And of course, as always, I turn inwardly to question my own behavior. We all stumble on occasion and it's easy to point fingers at others but it is more difficult to ask myself the honest question "am I pretending to be something I'm not?"

* Organizations and people should know who they are, not just what they do. And then, they should be checking and double checking their daily behaviors to determine if they have been true to what they claim.

* Having value statements and/or ethical principles communicated but not lived out is more destructive than having none at all.

* You can't pick and choose what you think is right or wrong. There are absolutes.

* A person can never really escape the consequences of deceitful behavior. A secret smoker, a person who tells little white lies, a closet drinker, shading the expense report, taking advantage of position and power, hurtful gossiping about others, being jealous or envious. All will be found out.

As a business coach and advisor to influence leaders, I am required (if I'm going to do my job right) to call out hypocritical behavior that I see. But my advice to others is only meaningful if I'm calling myself out daily on those behaviors which are not congruent with my professed values.

Now the question becomes, "What about you?" "What about your company?" Review what you stand for. What have you compromised on? Have you or your management team become "actors?" Are you Hypocrites with policy, procedures and relationships?

In his recent book, President G.W. Bush said "You may disagree with my policies, but I'm proud to say I did not compromise my principles." I hope in my business and professional life I can say the same.

Press on...



.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home